Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
March 28, 2024, 07:04:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Come?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Come?  (Read 1829 times)
tshandra

« on: November 15, 2008, 10:05:33 pm »

I have a sweet little corgi girl who does great in most things - sit, wait, do you want to go out?[requires a sit] doesn't bite or nip. BUT she will only come when she wants to come. I have tried treats and leashes and she will come for me in the house but outside she decides if she is tired enough to come inside. Iam so tired of this behavior. For some time I kept her on a tie out so that she had to come. She won't leave the yard but she won't come consistantly. Help.

Love in Him,
tsh
Report Spam   Logged

Love in Him,
tsh
“This question of ‘What will they think of us?’ is a paralyzing question. If you go through life asking what everyone will think of you, you're finished.”  Rush Limbaugh

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:47:13 pm »

Have to make coming more valued then staying out Tsh... do you call her in when your then going out or off to do something? Try never calling come unless you have a valued treat in hand intially. Does she enjoy chasing you? can also go out and semi near her, let her have whiff of the valued treat, tell her home or whatever term you use to go inside house and run like crazy toward house calling her name, toss treat inside and close the door when she comes in then drop a few more tokens of hi value, just be consistent. Sounds like shes learned she can get away with not listening, maybe work with her on long lead for a while...
Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED
tshandra

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »

I will try the treat ideal. When she is on a long lead she will come - she knows she can't escape then. I guess she is just a little brat.

She has learned to 'sit' for permission to go outside and now am working on 'wait' she is such a brat. sigggggggggh
Report Spam   Logged

Love in Him,
tsh
“This question of ‘What will they think of us?’ is a paralyzing question. If you go through life asking what everyone will think of you, you're finished.”  Rush Limbaugh
sab3mmom

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 05:10:45 pm »

Good luck to you! I know one lady with a highly trained and hugely intelligent Cocker who won't come 100% of the time! Mine are also totally incorrigible. At supper time they're really good. "SUPPER" and they will trample me getting to the door first! Any other time and I have only one little guy who will obey...cause he is my shadow. He must be wherever I am so will just follow me right on in the door! He is an amazingly sweet little guy whom someone threw to the street in Georgia. Stooopid people!
Report Spam   Logged

sharon - mom to Mozie, Monte, cocoMo, & Charlie-Tuna
tshandra

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:48:50 am »

You're right, very stupid people!
Report Spam   Logged

Love in Him,
tsh
Luca

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »

You could use the long lead and have it trail behind her.
Whenever you want her to come put your foot on the lead and kinda angle her in while slowly walking backwards yourself.
when she reaches you give the command 'here'  and give her a very special treat...something she loves above all.
Never call her when you know she wont come, you'll only teach her not to respond if you do that.

If you really cant get her to come to you there is a little trick you can use that may work.
Does she know the command down?
If she does you can make her go down there and then and go to her and get her on lead.
Still a treat for her, but not that very special one.

I have to do this last trick with my Gianni whenever I take him for a swim.
On all other occasions he comes to me when I call him (he's a schutzhund so he just has to), but not when he's been swimming... he never wants to go home, wants to stay at the canal for the rest of his life I think, bless him lol
Report Spam   Logged

All the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools
tshandra

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »

Actually down is another one that we struggle with, cos she is short legged I almost have to sit on the floor next to her to be sure that she has sat down and then to get her to lay ..... Well so far no luck. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Love in Him,
tsh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: