Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
March 28, 2024, 05:05:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

elderly pets ( reposted )

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: elderly pets ( reposted )  (Read 768 times)
Lhasav
Administrator

« on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:50 pm »

From: Maxi-Bear  (Original Message) Sent: 18/11/2007 3:29 PM
I am facing a hard one but one that every one of us faces at one time or another so I am inviting you all to walk with me and Maxwell on our journey to peace and recovery.

For those who don't know I adopted Maxwell at a rescue place almost 8 years ago. He was supposed to be just shy of two years old and was a massive mess of skin and eye problems. I needed him/he needed me. Ok - to make a long story abyssmally short he thrived on a home-cooked diet, lost one eye to Glaucoma (to save his other eye) and became my heart and soul. Max never gave kisses unless it was a mistake but he makes up for it in his need to be soooo close to me I should have named him Shadow. He is my heart dog if you know what I mean. I've had many dogs but this one little chocolate guy is special to me. He is dying now and maybe if I put in writing how I feel, how he seems to feel and what we're doing to make it easier it will help someone else. I am hoping that's the case.

I will post regularly cause it helps immensely to talk to someone besides my kitchen counter. I have had two vets tell me he is at least 13. He was recently put on thyroid medications which dang near killed him. Note to vets - don't put an elderly dog on thyroid meds that will make him quit eating...PLEASE.

I found today that Max really likes sausage so he got two links of brown n serve sausage with his breakfast - down it went! Almost all of his breakfast!

no tears please - i got enough for all of us!

Good news/bad news i suspect...almost made that last appointment over the weekend...but I hate admitting defeat. Give me a sign...please? Well he DID! Up in my face for peanuts Monday and back in my face for popcorn Tuesday! He hasn't done that since the onset of the thyroid meds! Most meals are going down reasonably quickly although no where near like he used to do and i have to keep on changing the menu. One night fixed potatoes and ham and pretended to eat it so he wanted it (and he got it) and it went downnnnnnn! Poo - he even barked at the traffic helicopter during the game over the weekend! Haven't heard that in ages...

Bad news - he's on a holistic med for Cushings Syndrome and it's working. So despite his past test results I guess that's what he's got. All other meds out of the picture but will bring them back on as he accepts more food. Right now he gets his eye meds (most of them) but no more cause he refuses his food if i try to put them in there. Also read an article that stated too much Fish Oil can cause internal bleeding (anything over 1k milligrams) so he won't get that much anymore. That was prescibed though! 3k milligrams. For his Lupus. Found a long chocolate hair on his back last night where the hair has not grown since March. Had to go get the magnifying glass to make sure...it was really there AND chocolate!

hope hope hope and more hope

Hello maxi.I feel your pain.and am glad to hear your max is eating some.Im sure you know of the issues we are having with our copper.Its been a battle and I agree the vet bills we have ran up over the past year we couldhave taken a trip around the world or half of it.A little trick we do to get copper to take pills is well she loves bread so we hide a pill in a little piece of bread and if she wont take that we add a little non-fat no colesterol butter on it.She gobbles it up.Some other things she likes is cottage cheese.Ill boil a whole chicken and debone itand boil 2 cups of rice i put the chicken and some of the broth in the the food processor and liquidfy it..And add it to the rice.Mabey boil a couple small potatoes chop up.She loves loves loves this food.And it will last her several days.And green beans are another of her favs.When she stayed a week at the vets they couldnt get her to eat i said try canned green beans warmed a little.she gobbled them up.Oh and live she loves that to lol we boil it for  about an hour on low.dont throw away the water I cut up the liver after its boiled and serve a little of it as a treat with the  waterits like a juice.or serve over some cooked rice or dry food.I hope some of thse will help your fur baby max.give him a loving squeeze from me and my pack.....Coppers mama

My Star took pills for cushing also, they were stopped when he got kidney failure....

How I decided it was time to let Star go.....I cooked for her 3 times a week, and sometimes she ate, sometimes no, I was getting burnt out...One day after cooking chicken for her for 3 hourse, she wouldn't eat the chicken, and I was eating my  TV dinner which contained chicken, and she wanted mine!!!!  I got to say, I was kind of angry, and I said to her "you wouldn't eat your chicken, and now you want my dinner?"   I was getting so stressed out...So finally, I put her to sleep....I could no longer do it anymore....It was too hard.....It may  sound terrible to you, because I know how much you love your friend....But I will say  this:  After she left, it was sad, of course, but I felt better because I could get on with my life...I know that sounds terrible, but how long can a person do it... Plus, stupidly, I had 3 other pets also, so
I could now focus on them...I may  sound like a cold hearted person to you, but
I have no regrets what I did, because I just knew it was time...I am not telling you
what to do, but it sounds like Maxi is suffering...My Star took meds because of me,
and I could see in her  tired face, that she was just taking it to please me.  And I said
"am I doing what's right for you?"   Sure, I miss and still love her, and I do expect to see her one day in heaven, so that sustains me for now.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Love, Jada

Maxwell is NOT in pain that I can tell. I would not be so selfish as to force him to live on if I thought he was in pain. And of course you get tired and stressed with caring for an elder...that's natural I think. I am not fond of changing diapers on a dog - as I have been since he had his first stroke back in March but it's not a big deal. Yes I stressed out when Mendi was in didees and she started pooping in them too to the point where I said I cannot take this anymore. But I fixed her didees where she didn't have to poop in them. It's easier to put a diaper on a little boy like Max than a female pooch! For me....just me remember...I made a promise to the rescue where I found Maxwell to care for him the best I could and let him live his life and I intend to keep that promise both to the rescue and to Maxwell. So long as he seems to be happy and is trying to help himself (by eating) I will help him. When he shows me he does not want to go on (as Mendi did) I will let him go. He already is off all meds he doesn't need in his system but if he perks back up to normal I will gradually put them back in. I really fought with myself about his monthly heartworm pill this month and decided not to give it to him. It gives him the runs and that's not at all what he needs right now. Tis all about quality of life for him and for me.

I can't tell you how many people told me to put Max down when he had to have one eye removed due to Glaucoma. My Mendi was blind since she was a year old and we did fine. She was 3 months shy of 15 years old when I finally let her go. The loss of one eye is not a big deal to a dog. The loss of even BOTH eyes is surmountable. Mendi played fetch up to about 6 months before she left me and she couldn't even see the ball! (ball with a bell in it...later a little peppermint oil in the ball when she couldn't hear it anymore) I guess I just don't consider my pets as disposable...they have a right to live. Even handicapped. It's probably easier for me than some to handle the handicapped ones because he's all I have. Kids gone, kicked the hubby to the curb decades ago! I got the time and the patience to help them live their lives as I hope my kids will one day do for me too!

This is a link I though was well written "How TO Know When It's Time"  for anyone that would like to read it.

http://hometown.aol.com:80/northtwin/HowToKnowWhenItIsTime.html

Lhasa  

Great article Lhasa! I was always told to list three things your critter loves and if you can cross those three things off the list then it's time to let go. Call me crazy but I feel I must fight for my little rescue dude.  

Busy week! Maxi's back to eating almost normally and I've found I can get the most-needed pills into his little self by giving him a little canned pumpkin sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar and topped with a little frozen yogurt. Pumpkin good for him and used to be part of his homecooked diet. The biggest thing I wanted to get into him was his Glucosamine cause it really helps his hips and the vitamin B to help his appetite and skin infections. All this time I have not been able to get him to take his Glucosamine I've been giving him massages every night with a warm moist washcloth. Bath time included a soak in warm water on his side while flexing his legs and massaging. Did that to Morgan a few times and he was in heaven! He used to just RUN up and down the driveway after he had his bath/massage almost as if to say "look at me Mom - I feel GREAT!" Max doesn't care for bath time so much but doesn't fight me anymore. He's got a little spring in his step again. One thing I've found with my now-particular little guy is I sure can't feed him the same thing twice in one day! Sausage and eggs and kibble for breakfast might go down great but I better have something different for supper for sure. Amazingly changing the venue for meals has even helped. Took the same dish he rejected for dinner tonight and re-nuked it and gave it to him in the kitchen and down it went. Once he turned down dinner in his usual spot but accepted it greedily when I took it out to the porch just minutes later. Been using the "I want what YOU have" routine too. One dish for me - one dish for you!

The most amazing difference is the Cushings meds I got from the Native American Remedies website. They just plain work! Three drops three times a day and I saw a difference in just one week. No more panting. They claim to give results in about three weeks... I am definitely seeing hair coming back and I don't need a magnifying glass to see it anymore cause I can feel it coming in when he gets his nightly massage.

Guys - I know I cannot make him live forever but I can help him live better until it's time for him to go. I have made some calls to find out prices for euthanization and cremation (I cannot bury a pet in my yard here) but I have to give him a chance to live his life. So long as he fights as hard as I do...well he deserves a chance. Spoilt rotten to the core!
But verrrrry loved...

Im glad your Maxi is eating .And feeling better.I have to tell you what my chocolate lab Jazzy did.Yesterday afternoon I needed a nap so off  i went with visions of suger plums in my head.When i woke jazzy had gotten into the dog food storage bins.Ohhhh she was so bloated from food i think she might have eaten at least a Gallon of food.She was so miserable all night long.She couldnt poo poo.All she did was pass some nasty rotten cabbage smelling gas.It was a bad night for me cause she slept in my bed instead of her crate.UggggWhen jazzy sleeps she likes to sleep on my pillow with my head there to. Well she was turned the opposite direction .Need I say more.It was Bad .Toady she is doing ok her belly isnt swollen anymore and no more gassy gas.Does your maxi get gassy?Anyway just had to share.Happy Holidays....Coppers momma

I didn't mean to sound mean, or to tell you, you are wrong...I wish I had your strength, if I did, my socksie would still be with me...Pls forgive me...I'm sorry!

jada

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lhasav
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:21 pm »

No apologies needed Jada. The decision to let go is verry personal and I probably should not have even started this thread cause I knew it would hurt. But my hurt will maybe help someone else in the long run you know.

So - the time has come. I've tried my dangdest but there is no more I can do. As I said before...Max has to help himself so I can help him. He is now turning down most everything I try to feed him. He's had another stroke I think and shakes terribly when I pick him up. I'm thinking he doesn't know me anymore enough to know I would not ever hurt him. Strange...that thought. I am comfortable with myself that I have tried everything short of intubating which is inhumane (to me). Backstretch...this close to Christmas. I am selfish enough to wish he would please wait until after the holidays but I cannot watch him waste away...

one thing I would want to make clear...really clear to anyone who has to make a decision about their loved one. Make sure you are going to be able to live with your choice. Make sure in your mind and your heart that you are satisfied that you personally have done ALL that you can do before you make a decision. And then make your decision based on the best interest of your critter. Max will live on in my heart and soul knowing I gave him a chance to live his life. I gave him EVERY chance I could. Plus some.

Jada like our (Human ) Maxi said its very individual how and when to make the decision, Even once made its natural to second guess oneself. Thats something I think WE all know and understand too well.
Maxi I am sorry to hear that the decision time has arrived. I havent had to do that for several years now and hope wont need to for several more. I think this thread was and is good as it will help others after and down the road, although a word from you and we will delete the thread if it makes things too painful for you.

For now I am in chat if any want to come in, And Maxi-Sneezy I have my ID

^Purrson^ (Purrs.wav)                                                                                       

was not sure to say or not to say, but remember making decision with Sneakers, Maxi,  he had lost half his weight, couldnt jump or climb onto the couch anymore even,  Yet when I brought him in he was interested in the fish tank in the waiting room, even climbed out and looked intently from my lap, made me feel terrible, was I doing it. too soon? But his Brawny muscled 16 lb body was down to 7 lbs of bone and I didnt think so. 7Lbs with force feeding neutrocal, chicken and tuna (in water not oil)

Hugging Maxi and Sneezy tight trying to comfort Sneezy Sad

Bless you Purr. I don't think i was around for your kitty but that would have broken my heart big time! I will ask you to please create a new category maybe on the message board for perhaps "dealing with elders" and move this there. Maybe someone else can benefit?

Meanwhile - the fight goes on. Max has turned down sooo dang much food but I have discovered he looooves chicken and noodles...homemade of course! This guy at work brought me in a batch he cooked and it was simply awesome! When I was adding some veggies to it for my lunch the next day Max was going crazy for some so of course I mixed some in his previously uneaten breakfast and nuked it for about 45 seconds. He ate sooo fast he got it all over my shoes! So I made him some from my own stock but with ham and potatoes...YUM!

Sad note - this close to Christmas - now I'm going to be selfish. It's obvious it's time to let my little man go but I cannot stand the thought of being alone at Christmas so I'm holding on. I pick him up...he shakes like he doesn't know me anymore. Still no sign of pain except for the pain in my heart. Tis weird how I asked my vet back in March to please not let me go too far like I did with Mendi. My vet has moved on but everytime I want to address Missy - a lady at work - it comes out Mendi. Someone is telling me to let go!

I give...it's past time. God willing I will be able to let Maxim be at rest during the New Year holiday. I have an appointment you see and God knows I am never late...except when it's the most important...little heart dog

Tonight and tomorrow are the most important in my life you know. I came home tonight to find another sign of Cushings Syndrome...diarrhea all over the floor. Geez Max. It's ok. I'm off work tomorrow for one full day of just loving on a little chocolate baby and saying goodbye. You will get sausage and eggs and whatever I think you will like.

Maxim - when you wouldn't follow me this morning on our daily ritual...when you laid on your side and shook like it was cold in here - I think I knew you are telling me you're tired my son. I hope I am making the right decision for you and for me. I so truly wish you did not leave any decision up to me but I cannot watch you go thru this anymore. Tonight we will cuddle if you will let me..tomorrow we will vegetate...together. Then I will let you be at rest as you so truly deserve and in my arms my little man. You are special. My little chocolate baby...

Hello everyone

I am sorry to hear about your elderly pets illness. I will be watching this space very carefully because my little man Cheeko (15y.o. male Pom) has recently been diagnosed with Cushings desease/syndrome.  I have read so much on this disease and so far I have decided that the treatment is more stressful for the animal than the disease itself. He is in the very early stages for now and I pray he is with me for a lot longer yet.

Any advice is welcomed

Sincere thoughts
SpinnerLady

For my Maxwell it is now over. God bless his little heart, he sure didn't give kisses but he made it known he loved me in his own way.

I feel so bad for anyone going thru Cushings Syndrome cause I've read it's pretty much the same outcome whether you treat or not - from diagnosis to death is about a year unless there's new medications out there. I found results pretty quickly from www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/cushex but it didn't last long. Might be good as a compliment to regular treatment but the cost of both would be outrageous! My previous vet first suspected Cushings about 3 years ago but all his tests came back negative. The vet did find Lupus which is another autoimmune disease and pretty much mirrors Cushings with hair loss, increased thirst, etc.

Unfortunately for me and for Maxwell, his downfall seemed to be the new vet putting him on thyroid meds. Almost immediately he quit eating, had diarrhea, and within three weeks he had lost 2 pounds...pretty hefty amount for a 28 pound dog. The vet refused to consider he was having an adverse reaction and instead said she would want to DOUBLE the dosage. I think that would have killed him for sure. Actually I read his blood test results and I'm no vet for sure but it sure popped into my head that his system was shutting down. He's had blood in his urine for a while so he was definitely going towards kidney failure. Thyroid meds had no efect on his numbers whatsoever.. I like fresh-outta-college vets cause they're usually open to the owner's opinion but this one was not. She suggested letting him go and she'd be happy to help me with that! Her whole attitude really rankled me. Needless to say I didn't add to her coffers by allowing her to put him to rest.

Now, for the first time in about 20 years I have no pooch to sleep with tonight but my Max is in a better place. Considering I think he was probably at least 14 - 15 years old...maybe more, he lived his life and I can vouch for the last nine as being totally loved. Perhaps even majorly spoilt? For sure.

Sorry to ramble...I will shut up now.

My dog, Star, had cushings also, but she was on medication, and the cushings didn't kill her, later she got kidney disease, and between the kidney disease and the irritable bowel, she went to the bridge....I heard that when a pet has cushings, the life span is about 2 yrs...

jada

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: