Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
April 19, 2024, 07:56:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Discussion on using Barf (Bones and raw foods) Prey diets and holiday meals

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion on using Barf (Bones and raw foods) Prey diets and holiday meals  (Read 1158 times)
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« on: January 06, 2009, 06:17:16 pm »

Came up on the general board, I know Barf and Prey diets are hot topicish diets, I am also curious how people shared their holiday meals with the furred feathered and scaled family members. We have not had turkey (whole turkey) here for ages but when we do turkey, fish, steak, we usually reserve some for Missy in general.

Maui enjoyed some Turkey post xmas dinner, as well as yams from time to time along with other veggies.

What precautions do people take? I know we do not give peppered pieces of food to Missy rather rinse foods off first. Shes pretty safe tho as I dont like hot foods  anyway, so no risk of tabasco sauce for her  Grin
Edited to fix purrese
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:19:24 pm by ^Purrson^© » Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sab3mmom

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:34:48 pm »

I don't do BARF because..well germs and such. I do cook for my boys which has proved verrry good for them. First got into this with Maxwell who was near nekkid when I adopted him cause of skin allergies. So he got "puppy stew" ie:

Chicken 1/2
brown rice 2 cups
green beans 1/2 pound
peas 1/2 pound
squash mixed zucchini & crook-neck
celery half a stalk
red delicious apples 2
broccoli 1/2 pound
oatmeal 1 cup
couple tbs of garlic in oil

Feed Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice with about a tablespoon or so of the puppy stew on top. All my dogs have thrived on this recipe!
Report Spam   Logged

sharon - mom to Mozie, Monte, cocoMo, & Charlie-Tuna
sab3mmom

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:44:39 pm »

Forgot the holiday meals thingy...sorry. My critters are used to having "people food" so holiday stuff is no problem BUT it may be too rich for critters only used to having kibble you know. Mine get eggs and sausage on weekends and special days so their little systems ARE used to what might be a cause for pancreatitus in others. I'm not a big gravy person so that's not a problem here but some dogs ARE sensitive to that so be careful!

Biggest thing I could add is that remember people food is really the same as premium dog foods...just not overprocessed. My dogs readily accept cold apple slices and baby carrots...sauteed chicken livers, stuffed celery...even slices of bell peppers! Things such as tomatoes and eggplant and onion are totally reserved for Mommy-only diets but mine have eaten stuff laced with tobasco with no problem however I don't usually do that. Tobasco is mine...only mine!
Report Spam   Logged

sharon - mom to Mozie, Monte, cocoMo, & Charlie-Tuna
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »

Hey Maxi I am in room now, I am also antigravy, Maui dog LOVES baby carrots and apples, but the apples must be cut small. (raw)
When I have served cats chicken livers I also cook them. I always tended to cook them well done, do you cook alot or lightly?
I served them up divided among the 3 cats, so that was quite a while ago.
Report Spam   Logged

tshandra

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:14 pm »

When I could afford it I fed Prey style and I have never had such healthy, happy dogs. 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs. for the corgis that was about a pound a day. My Joey looked her best on that diet, she even lost the blubber and was trim and fit for a change. I can't seem to keep the weight off her on kibble. However I can't afford to feed $5 and more a day of raw meaty bones. Sad

Dogs are carnivores and they handle eating raw meat well, they even do well on meat that would make you and I ill. Remember in the wild, they save their kills until they have eaten all they can get off the carcass.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:52:05 pm by tshandra » Report Spam   Logged

Love in Him,
tsh
“This question of ‘What will they think of us?’ is a paralyzing question. If you go through life asking what everyone will think of you, you're finished.”  Rush Limbaugh
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:05 am »

Tsh how about can you treat them to on occasional hi class meal? Even on occasion should make a diff. I buzzed Silver, one whom I bleve also does home feeding of raw diets, am interested even in how those NOT doing raw foods shared holidays.
Missy was happy just to get us home after even if we did smell doggy LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: