Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
April 19, 2024, 09:12:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Tips for the new cat owner

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for the new cat owner  (Read 711 times)
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« on: January 23, 2009, 09:07:44 pm »

What tips have you learned by first hand experience of cat ownership? What to do and get ahead of time? Common oopsies that you would not repeat again?

Please share your tips here for others benefit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:18:02 pm by ^Purrson^© » Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:32 pm »

Can speak first hand, ahead of time most know to get a carrier, litter box, food and water bowls as well as food of course. I would like to recommend having a scratching post before bringing kitty home.

My first kitten I was clueless. I think we bought the post a week after Tachie was home. She consequently had a difficult time learning where it was ok to scratch as she learned wrong habits at the start.
I would also recommend a family discussion and consensus on where kitty was to sleep. We had a box set up between beds. Tachie slept there one night then learned beds were more comfy, which was fine to me Wink , ever since kitties have shared my bed.

I would also recommend buying the litter and having the box set up before bringing kitty home. That way you can show her the box first.

I have also read that its good to limit kitty's free area initially to not overwhelm him or her.

I hope members post thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:18:51 pm by ^Purrson^© » Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED
unstresst2

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:05 am »

MAKE SURE the dog doesnt pester the  NEW cat......this could cause future problems.
If cat/kitten is scratching on the wrong things, pick him off of it and plant him halfway up on his post.
after about 4 or 5 of these trips, it's ok to get firm and push the cat off if he scratches on wrong items.
Be sure to include a sharp firm  "NO" when pushing the cat off.--(and dont be  TOO gingerly when pushing....it has to make an impression)
Contrary to popular belief, it does not hurt a cat--(or his feelings)-- to be firm and use  "NO"  when needed.-----(cats recover from a  "NO"  in about  1/10th of a second)
The same  'push-off' and no should be used anytime cat jumps up on anyplace you dont want him.

If cat is not box trained yet, pick him up about 4-5 times --(or more)-- within the first hour and place him in the litterbox and walk away.    repeat if he has accidents.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: