Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
February 25, 2021, 01:56:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!
 
  Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Danger on using cocoa mulch in your garden. Please cross post

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danger on using cocoa mulch in your garden. Please cross post  (Read 434 times)
^Purrson^
Administrator
Full Member
*****

Karma: +2/-0
Offline Offline

Posts: 232


Best Friends


« on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:18 am »

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
 
    Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next da y, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
 
   Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.
 
   Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'
 
   This Snopes site gives the following information: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
 
   Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine' . It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of th eobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffei n e and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells rev ealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
 
   
PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION! !!


Report Spam   Logged


Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter



Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy