Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
March 29, 2024, 01:57:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Raw Diet for Dogs *Posted with permission from NoSire farms on MareStare*

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raw Diet for Dogs *Posted with permission from NoSire farms on MareStare*  (Read 692 times)
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« on: June 16, 2009, 07:18:18 pm »

Feeding the Raw Diet
This is for your information of how I feed my dogs and pups. I am not a Vet or nutritionists.

I feed Preference by Honest Kitchens this is food you rehydrate with water and add Primal Grinds and Flesh meat to for a daily natural and raw diet for your pup and/or dog.  You can order directly from www.thehonestkitchen.com and get 10% off your first order and buy a 4 pack of the Preference.

You give 1 part Preference to 2 parts meat and the meat should be 1 part grinds and 1 part flesh meat.

Primal Grinds has ground up bones, organs and some meat.  Make sure to get the “grinds” they also have another one with something else on it for a meal not as an additive to the Preference.  The Primal Grinds have lamb, buffalo, chicken, turkey, sardine, beef, and duck…I buy a variety of them…the chicken and turkey are the least expensive.

Flesh meat is like stuff like chicken thighs, chicken breast, ground beef, ground turkey, canned salmon and roast.  Costco is a great source for all of these flesh meats.

Organ meat should also be rotated into the diet so give calf liver,  beef hearts and lamb hearts that you can get from a local type butcher.

Chicken necks are a great source of raw bones and are very inexpensive from a local butcher as well.  I get 40 lbs boxes for $22.00 and bag them up into about 5 lbs per freezer gallon zip lock bags and freeze them.  Never feed your dog any kind of cooked bones!!!  That can be very dangerous as they are likely to splinter and cause harm to your dog.

I rotate around the different meats, the different grinds through the week.

When you are traveling Honest Kitchens also makes a couple of complete natural dog foods as well called Force, Embark and Thrive.  Embark and Thrive are also list for puppies on the label.  I don’t like Keen or Verve that they carry as they have grains in them…avoid grains.  This dry food is also rehydrated, but do have meat in them, this makes it easier if you are traveling and can’t make a homemade meal with the raw meats in it.

I supplement with a multivitamin that I have included a letter for you and a code number so you can order it for your puppy and/or other dogs too.  If you do auto ship they set you up and ship as often as you need it for your puppy and/or dogs, plus knock off an additional 15%.  This is what I have set up for Kiki and will now add my pups too!  They get one tablet per day in their AM meal here.

I also, supplement with an oil called Dream Coat by Halo and this can be googled online if you can not find it at a dog health food store that carries your Primal Grinds.  This is given by weigh and will increase until you hit the 3 teaspoons daily in one meal.

I also give Natural Fish Oil Omega 3 Concentrate Tablets that you can buy at Costco one AM and one PM.  For your puppy until about 6 months of age, I would give only one daily then increase to one AM and one PM.

Daily I give Kiki one cup of the Activa Yogurt in her food.  This was recommended to me by a Licensed Vet and Holistic Vet.

With the Preference, grinds and flesh meat in the daily meals, I also add a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables…you can also use
frozen fruits and vegetables, but must be thawed out in the refrigerator prior to feeding.  Dogs do not do well eating frozen foods.

So far the puppies have had blueberries, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, apples, pears, plums, and raspberries.  I don’t use oranges, grapefruit and such… too much acid in them.  They have had the following vegetables so far broccoli, carrots, kale (high source of calcium), yellow squash, green beans, cherry tomatoes (don’t do too much tomatoes, they are high in acid), avocados, variety packs of frozen vegetables with cauliflower, snow peas, green peppers, yellow peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, and watercress in them.  I use a lot of sweet potatoes too…you will have to bake them at 350 for 30 minutes, they will not be fully cooked and will still be hard, this is just to make it easy to cut them up, you can slice off a piece and refrigerate the rest for later use.  You can add any vegetable you want raw or thawed frozen, but don’t cook it.

The only things you CAN NOT feed is onions, grapes and raisins, they are toxic to your puppy and/or dog.

Another thing you can add for weigh gain and as an oil is Coconut Oil, you can find this at health food store for people.

I also add eggs over easy 2 times a week to the meal and cottage cheese 2 times a week.  Right now with the pups they get cottage cheese in one of the three meals they are currently getting daily for the added calcium for the grown pups.  You ask why over easy?  Why not raw?  The whites of the egg raw for dog can cause them to loose a vitamin in their body and is not good for them to eat the white part raw, but the yoke raw is very good, so the way to do this is to take some extra virgin olive oil and put in your frying pan and cook your eggs over easy to make safe for your puppy and/or dogs.
On Tuesday and Saturday I make 2 eggs over easy for one meal for Kiki.  Until your puppy is about 6 months old, I would do 1 egg over easy.

On Thursday and Sunday, I add one heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese to one of Kiki’s meals.  For the puppies I would add one heaping tablespoon daily to one of the meals for at least 6 months.

Vaccinations
Your puppy received its first shot on March 28, 2009 and will need a booster on April 25th, 2009 done by your Vet.  Take the booklet provided to you with your puppies shot record in it to your Vet when you go.  Your puppy will need a series of shots until fully vaccinated.  I also do Kennel Cough and Lymes Disease shots on my puppies and/or dogs.  Even if our dog does not go to a Kennel you could come in contact with dogs that do go to Kennels.  I’d rather be safe than sorry.  Once your puppy is full vaccinated as a puppy he/she should be fully vaccinated again in 1 year.  After this you can have titers done on your dog rather than doing the vaccinations again, most dogs never need to be vaccinated again.  But you should check titers yearly to make sure your dog is fully protected against all diseases out there.  The exceptions is Rabies, this must be given every 3 years by law.  If your Vet tells you they don’t do titers, I’d find one that does.  Most Vets realize people are getting more educated about their dogs health care and do, do titers now.

Until your puppy is fully vaccinated with all the boosters, it was recommended to me to day by Dr. Masters to not let them go potty anywhere any spray dogs might have gone or in shady areas in your yard.  Have them go in sunny areas in the yard.  The sunny kills the parvovirus and does not live long in the soil were it is sunny.

Worming
Your puppy was wormed on March 28, 2009 with liquid strongid  and needs to be done again on April 11th, 2009 and again on April 25th, 2009. Even though fecals are negative, the worms can be in the muscles, so should be wormed regardless of the fecal result.

Once your puppy is on Interceptor this will worm your puppy with every dose given.  Interceptor is a heartworm preventative and also has ivermectin in it to worm your dog for other worms as well.  It is recommended by labeling to do monthly.  My Holistic Vet recommended to me to do it every 6 weeks, so less chemicals in your dogs body over time.  I also take my dogs off of it once we get a killing frost in the late fall, usually in Oct sometime.  This would vary if you lived somewhere, where it is warm year round.  Before I put my dog back on it in the spring, I have a heartworm test done to make sure it is negative and start them back on it the beginning of April.

Flea Protection
I use Frontline Plus on my dogs and start this the beginning of April as well.  I also was recommended by my Holistic Vet to use this product every 6 weeks as well, even though labeling says every 4 weeks. I take my dogs off of it once we have a killing frost also to give my dogs a break from the chemicals in it during the winter.

Rotating Frontline and Interceptor was recommended to me by my Holistic Vet as well.  She recommended that I give Interceptor and then wait 3 weeks and then give the Frontline, then 3 weeks later back to the Interceptor, so they are always 3 weeks apart and 6 weeks from the last dose of one of the products.

I am not a licensed Vet and these are just recommendation to you, if you have concerns please consult your Vet and do your own research.  There are many sources available online to do research.

Your Puppies Weights
Black Collar/Runchkin
Feb. 7th, 2009 Birth Weight 3/4 lbs
March 4th, 2009 41/4 lbs
March 9th, 2009 51/4 lbs
March 15th, 2009 7 lbs
March 21st, 2009 81/2 lbs
March 28th, 2009 101/2 lbs

In closing I hope you enjoy your new addition to the family!!  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me and ask, I’m here to help you anytime.

It is not recommended that you do long walks with you new puppy or any hard working activities until your puppy is 1 year of age.  It is OK to do a puppy obedience class with your puppy with puppies of the same age, but not something like protection or agility work until they are older.  A German Shepherd is not fully grown until 2 years of age.
I hope to breed another litter in about 10 years or so to only replace my current pups with another Nico kid down the road.  So keep in touch if you might be ready in about 10 years for another Nico Pup!!!  I can always be found on my web site, www.norsire.com  If I should move, you can always find me and my new location should I move on my web site and my e-mail on there will never change either if I move. NorsireFarm@aol.com

Bridget Perry
14874 Cider Mill Road
Purcellville, VA 20132
Phone/Fax 540-668-9095

Dear Puppy Buyer,

I highly recommend NuVet Plus.

I've seen some amazing things in my day, but this takes the prize. It is the best nutritional supplement I've ever seen. We are recommending it to everyone.

More than a million dogs and cats are using NuVet to protect against most ailments (from back yard pesticides, pet food allergies and hormones, toxic formaldehyde in furniture and carpeting, ailments transmitted from dog parks and the vet’s office, etc), while maintaining a beautiful skin and coat.

This is not just a vitamin. It’s an immune system builder with a precise balance of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, amino acids and high-potency antioxidants. That’s why it works so well through all three stages of a dog’s life.

P   For younger dogs (under 2 years old), it strengthens their immune system, while building and strengthening the cardiovascular, skeletal and nerve systems.

P   For dogs in their prime (age 2-8), it improves the luster of their skin and coat while protecting against allergies, skin and coat problems, staining from tears, digestive problems, etc.

P   For older dogs (over 8 years old), it helps reduce and eliminate arthritis, tumors, premature aging, cataracts, heart conditions, diabetes and many types of cancer, while extending the life and improving the vitality of many dogs.

We highly recommend NuVet Plus to keep your pet on the path to perfect health! It’s not available in stores, and is only available to the general public with an order code from an authorized pet professional.

For your convenience, you may order directly from the manufacturer (at up to 50% off what most veterinarians charge) by calling 800-474-7044 and using Order Code: 421076, or ordering online at http://www.nuvet.com/421076 . By using autoship you can save an additional 15%.

To the long life and health of your puppy!

Bridget Perry
Norsire Farm Via Marestare Farm board
Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: