Petchatters Meets Animalchatters
April 20, 2024, 04:14:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are now on Facebook, Search for Animalchatters on Facebook and join in.

To join us in live chat via basic java click the 'Chat Room' tab below        

Please register, to post here!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Rainbow Bridge Home Page Chat Room Staff List Login Register  

Medications

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medications  (Read 1419 times)
SpinnerLady

« on: September 11, 2009, 04:33:25 am »

Hi roomies

Can anyone tell me if they have been given Vetmedin heart medication for their dogs.  Both my older dogs have been put onto Vetmedin, Cheeko went on it late last year and earlier this week he suddenly went into sudden kidney failure, sadly I had to make the dreaded decision this morning to have him put to sleep.  My little girl Puff went onto Vetmedin in March this year and her latest blood tests show kidney disease even though her previous blood showed no signs, she is due for another blood test on Monday. 

I know my babies were old and I understand that kidney disease sneak up but why suddenly are my babies ill without any signs.  If anyone has experienced anything similar please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's going to be a long lonely weekend.

Love to all
SpinnerLady
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sab3mmom

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »

I'm sooo sorry for your loss. I haven't had any experience with heart meds at all but it does seem like that particular med has some bad reactions. Have you researched it online or checked the insert that comes with the med? I think I'd be telling the vet to please use something else on Puff.
Report Spam   Logged

sharon - mom to Mozie, Monte, cocoMo, & Charlie-Tuna
SpinnerLady

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »

Thank you Sab3mmom for your kind words.
 Yes I have tried to research vetmedin but can't seem to find anything about it, other than it is used for heart problems.  I worry that new drugs are often pushed by pharmaceutical companies without fully knowing the affect on other parts of the body.  I am afraid I don't trust too may big organisations these days, but who do we turn to when we are in need.

I will keep looking, I also have a friend who lectures in cardiac problems in humans, so I will email her to see if she can tell me anything.

I am also aware that chemo affects the kidneys to a certain degree, it's all a balancing act really isn't it.

Kind regards
SpinnerLady
Report Spam   Logged
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

Hugssssss Spin am so sorry about Cheeko. Yes unfortunately it is a balancing act as our babies get sick and need treatments. I remember your saying they were both on heart medications, I agree would ask the vet about alternatives. What does that pill do that another would not?

Tig told me you had come in chat over the weekend, I think I just missed you. They have been splitting my weekends, so not on til late when I work.
Report Spam   Logged

Breedism is a form of Racism, with a different name to it.
BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_Sheets/rx_pimobendan.pdf
Unfortunately looks like it is a decent med but like any has side effects and sometimes...
 Cry
Have been thinking of you hon, I put a pic on Rainbow bridge for you of Cheeko. I edited the pic you put on of all of them together. Hope that was ok. PM me with a different picture if you have one you would rather use. I hope Puff is doing ok.
Report Spam   Logged

SpinnerLady

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:27:25 am »

Hi Purr

Thank you for your kindness and for putting Cheeko's pic in Rainbow Bridge, I miss him dreadfully.
I almost lost my little Puff as well, she also had kidney problems and spent two days in hospital on a drip. I took my younger dog Lucy who is 6yrs, to the vet and had her urine and blood tested, the urea in her blood was also high, up to 15.  There is something going on here so I am having the soil tested for heavy metals, just waiting for someone to contact me so I can organise a day and time.  I will keep you posted.
Just seems strange that 3 dogs in the one family have sudden kidney problems.

Luv ya
SpinnerLady
Report Spam   Logged
^Purrson^©
Administrator

Best Friends

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:56:30 pm »

ouch and Lucy was NOT on that med either was she? Undecided So maybe something with the environment?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: